Tuesday, September 21, 2010

More Bad Luck For This Poor Schmuck

Hey everyone,

I realize that it hasn't been long since my last post but I have had a terrible streak of bad luck the past couple of days and am counting on you folks for some words of wisdom, positive thoughts, or anything you can do to put me in a better head-space than I'm in right now.
Yesterday I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon of lounging in and by the pool of Chen's dad, where I decided to try out the waterproof capabilities of my new awesome camera. It turns out the camera is not quite as awesome as anticipated as after 15 minutes of using it, all of a sudden it would not turn back on. I assumed it was the battery because I had already had warnings of it almost being depleted, but upon returning back home, battery fully charged, the camera still wasn't working and I discovered traces of water inside the battery/memory card compartment (this after actually reading a manual for once and following all the instructions).
"Oh well!" I thought, "things have been working out pretty well, I'm sure this will too! The camera is under warranty and can be replaced and the most I'll lose is a week or two of photos during my vacation period, no big deal. I can ask others to take photos for me." But apparently technology has some sort of vendetta against me. This morning I awoke to find that my computer will not boot up properly. It worked fine when I went to bed last night, but this morning it can't get past a black screen that tells me that "a disk read error has occurred, please restart your computer". "Great!" I thought, "No camera and no computer, what the heck is going on?" With a sigh of frustration, I decided to put it out of my mind and head to the beach for my last day in this area of Israel for a few months.
After half an hour of heating up on the beach, I decided to go for a swim. I swam out pretty far, about 10 minutes past where I could touch the ground. I lay out on the sea, letting go of my stress and thinking about the amazing area I was in and the beautiful weather and people. As I began my swim back, I suddenly felt a sharp pain on my hand. I pulled my hand in quickly only to drag with it an enormous jellyfish that proceeded to sting me three more times, on my face, my knee, and on my stomach. This seemingly harmless-looking creature then floated off on the crest of the next wave and disappeared into thin air, unknowingly having made my day a hell of a lot more painful. I scrambled to the shore in much more time than it took to swim out and made my way to the restaurant to ask for advice on what to do, this being my first jellyfish sting. Don't be fooled folks! Although spiders and wasps look much more threatening, jellyfish are the ones to look out for! Their stings hurt like a bitch and my face started to swell up like a balloon with purplish-white blisters appearing on my cheek, stomach and hand. The bartender gave me vinegar to put on the stings but this did nothing except make me smell like fish and chips. And then he suggested the urban myth. "Try peeing on it" he said, in broken English, "it usually works for me". So off to the bathroom I went. Let me dispel this myth for you all so that you never have to put yourself through it. Peeing on a jellyfish sting does not get rid of the pain for more than five minutes and simply leaves you soaked in your own urine! Thank you Friends for absolutely nothing!
So I ask you friends and family, or whoever might be reading. What do you do when everything seems to be going wrong? My supposed two-weeks vacation is slowly turning into something I'm regretting and despite my positive nature, I'm starting to succumb to the dark side of negativity. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated and hope you are all doing better than I am. Off for a second shower now to get rid of the thought of any remaining yellow substances on my skin.

Ciao for now,

Max

2 comments:

  1. The way I look at it, you now have material for some great stories and it can only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't fear life's dirty tricks,accept them as part of the GAME, and fear is great fuel for success in the world. Winners embrace fear!

    Sylvester Stallone.

    ReplyDelete