Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Shuk

Hey everyone,

Hasn't been too long since my last post but I thought I would fill you all in on the splendor that is the Ashdod shuk. "Shuk" is the word in Hebrew for market, and in Ashdod, there is quite a large one which is open once a week on Wednesdays pretty much for the entire day. It takes up several city blocks, is down by the water, and offers amazing deals on everything from clothes and accessories, to freshly baked breads and pita, nuts, dried fruits, olives, as well as the freshest and cheapest produce selection you can find anywhere in the city.
The best part about the shuk is that the people are very friendly and understanding of someone in my position with very limited Hebrew skills. Although I have learned this week how to ask things like "how much does this cost?" and all of the numbers so I can ask for prices, I still have very little in terms of banter or bargaining skills, much less haggling to get prices down. Therefore, right now I'm mostly sticking to buying items that are clearly labeled. Today, for 100 shekels ($30), this is what I was able to purchase:

- A head of cilantro
- Scallions (green onions)
- 3 large red peppers
- 2 Gala apples
- 3 bananas
- 1 300g container of candied cashews, almonds, and pecans
- 1/2 kg of delicious olives
- 8 burekas (these are little pastries the size of the palm of your hand, stuffed with either potatoes, mushrooms, cheese, or sweet ones with jam or sugar inside)
- 10 small bags of chips
- 4 huge pitas baked with cheese, tomatoes, and zatar (an israeli mixed spice)
- 1 pair of polarized UV protecting sunglasses

Amazing experience at the shuk today, one I will repeat every week, and really enjoying learning some Hebrew so I can talk with the locals and actually get the full Israel experience.

Ciao for now,

Max

No comments:

Post a Comment