Sunday, April 17, 2011

Diary Of A Hungry Man

Hey folks,

So since leaving Vancouver, I have considerably expanded my horizons when it comes to trying out exotic and interesting new foods, mostly in the meat department. I figure now is the time to try it as I travel because I'm surrounded with opportunities to taste something different. This will serve as an account of what I have tried so far:

Boiled Cow Tongue (Israel): I tried this dish several times in my first few weeks in Israel during the holiday of Sukkot. My friend's mother let the tongue boil for hours on end and it was some of the most savoury and tender meat I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. It was also the first dish that everyone went for! RATING: 9/10

Grilled Chicken Hearts (Israel): This one didn't impress me quite as much. I found the hearts quite chewy and not full of a lot of flavour. With a lot of other great meat to try at the bbq I was at, I didn't find myself too drawn to the hearts. RATING: 6/10

Grilled Chicken Liver (Israel): I tried this several times in Israel, both at restaurants and in people's homes and it became a favourite Israeli dish of mine, especially when accompanied by some hummus and pita! RATING: 8.5/10

Salted Crickets (Thailand): Maybe if they had been coated with some sort of flavouring I would have felt different, but these insects I found revolting and I don't understand locals' inclination to ever eat them or why they would sell them except to tourists. They were also so dry that it took awhile to get down. RATING: 3/10

Raw Water Buffalo With Chili Paste (Thailand): I tried this on a jungle trek in Chiang Mai for breakfast and it was surprisingly very tasty although I didn't indulge in too much of it for fear I would spend a lot of time in the bushes...  RATING: 7/10 

Street Pig Snout (Thailand): Tried this one without even realizing what I was getting.  But halfway through chewing on the cartilage, I looked down and noticed the shape. Not terrible in flavour, but the texture and chewiness were not impressive by my street food standards. RATING: 5/10

Frozen Crab With Wasabi (Thailand): Now I've had crab before, and I've had crab in sushi or sashimi form many times living in Vancouver, but when the woman in Phuket served us crab that felt like it had just come out of the freezer, I thought that she had made a mistake. Maybe that's common, but if it is, I was new to it.  Pretty good but I still think I prefer the cooked version. RATING: 6.5/10

Fried Frogs With Sweet Chili Sauce (Malaysia): Saw them on the menu for just $3 CDN and couldn't resist the temptation. They really didn't seem all that different from chicken wings except that the meat flaked off more like fish. Lots of bones involved but tasty nonetheless. RATING: 7.5/10

Fish Head Soup (Malaysia): Tasty soup I found at a food mall on my way down a mountain from Malaysia's largest temple. Definitely very fishy tasting but there was enough chili paste put in that I didn't mind. Probably would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't so hot from trekking up the hill in the heat! RATING: 7/10

Beef Tongue & Stomach Soup (Malaysia): I tried cow's tongue already in Israel but not in a soup and not mixed with the stomach! The rich Indian flavours of the soup and the delicious French bread that accompanied it makes my mouth water just thinking about it! RATING: 9/10

Venison Fried Kuay Teow (Malaysia): A mixture of white rice noodles, ginger, onions, mushrooms, delicious sauces and spices and... deer? I'd never had venison before but the meat was incredible and the dish was amazing! I only regret that the serving size was too small for my big appetite. RATING: 9.5/10

Durian Iced Fruit Shake (Malaysia): Quite possibly one of the worst tasting things I have ever had, but something I decided I needed to try because of its fame in South East Asia. It is known as an exotic, terrible smelling fruit, but who knew that the smell would translate so well to the taste. I had a good six to seven sips of the shake and the best description I can come up with is a mix between old custard and very strong, possibly rotting, cheese! This is followed up by a slightly fruity taste but the original taste you get in your mouth is overpowering. It stays with you for hours (I know from burping so much after!) and just the thought of it conjures up that foul smell and taste in my mouth again. Never to be tried again! RATING: 0/10

BBQ Sweet & Sour Lemon Glazed Shark (Malaysia): Stopping on the islands for a week, there was a lot of selection for seafood, and although I did feel bad about consuming something I was swimming next to a few hours prior, I didn't for too long because it was absolutely delicious. This was largely due to the fact that the sauce and lemon glaze they coat their seafood in is to die for, but on top of that, shark meat is incredibly tender and when barbequed right, simply melts in your mouth. I would definitely be willing to sample this one again! RATING: 9.5/10

Snickers Iced Milkshake (Malaysia): This isn't so much something particularly native to the Far East, however, it is a nice reversal of the absolute abomination of the Durian Iced Fruit Shake! Despite the fact you could probably find this on a menu in the US, I have never tried a chocolate bar shake before and Snickers happens to be one of my favourite chocolate bars. The shake takes the best part of the Snickers' taste and concentrates it tenfold, also allowing it to last for a much longer time because of the huge quantity they supply you with. I enjoyed every single sip of the shake and I'm glad I discovered it late on the island or else I would have gotten one every day! RATING: 10/10

BBQ Black Pepper Lemon Glazed Stingray (Malaysia): Another island oddity that I thought I would venture to try although this one didn't surprise or entice my taste buds as much as the shark. The meat was not as tender, the taste was not as unique, and there were a lot of bones to avoid while eating the steak, but the black pepper sauce was a nice addition and it was still a good piece of fish. RATING: 7/10

Fish Eye Curry With Rice (Malaysia): This was another case, like the pig snout, of me not knowing what I was actually getting myself into! I was eating at a buffet on a rest stop during my 11 hour commute to Kuala Lumpur and I mistakenly took this thinking it was a ground beef dish I enjoyed in Thailand because it looked similar and the texture wasn't discernible under all the heaps of sauce. As soon as I bit into it, I had the fishiest taste I have ever encountered in my mouth and I had to load heaps of chili sauce on to get the dish down and fill my stomach for the rest of the bus ride. Not a favourite of mine! RATING: 4/10

Boiled Pig Intestines (Malaysia): Not really sure what prompted me to try this one, maybe just because it was the weirdest thing on the menu, but it pretty much was what I expected. Chewy and not much flavour, plus it's loaded with cholesterol... And it's grey... Won't be trying it again RATING: 4/10

Corn Ice Cream (Malaysia): So I saw this the first 20 minutes I arrived in Malaysia and wanted to try it but it was all sold out! Well I finally saw it again my last few days in Malaysia and so it was time to taste-test. And I actually really enjoyed it, kind of like really good corn-on-the-cob but cold and melting in your mouth. It even had little kernels wedged in the ice cream! Another weird flavour for me to tell all my friends I like! RATING: 8.5/10

Bee Larvae (Laos): Didn't want to try this one at all and only did because I thought it was something else. Bitter, rancid juice squirted into my mouth when I bit into it and it was just bloody awful! Not something I will ever try again! RATING: 0/10

Pig Feet (Laos): There were plenty of weird things to try on this Chinese restaurant's menu but these were on the cheaper side and I think I made a wise decision. They were surprisingly tasty, albeit loaded with fat and not sure how I'll be feeling tomorrow! RATING: 7.5/10

Deep Fried A-Ping Tarantula (Cambodia): Only an hour after entering the country, I expanded my horizons once again and tried out a local delicacy in the town of Skuon, tasty fried spider! This one was actually surprisingly better than I expected, baring some resemblance to the crickets I had in Thailand in texture, but the taste was ritcher and a little sweet. Probably not something I would enjoy as a snack on a regular basis but far better than anticipated nonetheless! RATING: 5/10

Ox Tripe With Green Bananas & Morning Glory (Cambodia): Very tasty main course with more than enough tripe to enjoy, certainly more than I have ever had! The combination with the bananas (not sweet but kind of a chalky texture) and the morning glory was great! I would definitely eat it again and thoroughly enjoyed it! RATING: 8/10

Fresh Sugarcane Juice (Cambodia): Enjoyed some of this at a little stall in a tiny village in the countryside, about 15km outside of Phnom Penh. The woman made it right in front of me after I watched her skin the sugarcane herself in her backyard. She even let me have a go at peeling so I contributed to the beverage! Not overly sweet considering and it has a very nice aftertaste. Would enjoy a repeat tasting in the future RATING: 8.5/10

As I continue to broaden my food repertoire, I will add to this entry!

Ciao for now,


Max

2 comments:

  1. Urgh pig snout. Lucky it wasn't another appendage they gave you to eat :P

    ReplyDelete